Skip to main content


Grade Change Application School Year 2020-2021
Posted 7/28/21

Grade Change Application School Year 2020-2021

Grade Change Request to Address Learning Disruption during 2020 - 2021 school year


On July 1, 2021, Governor Gavin Newsom signed Assembly Bill (AB) 104 (Chapter 41/2021) which included a provision regarding student grades. This provision authorizes parents/guardians of students who were enrolled in a high school course during the 2020–21 school year (or students, if 18 years old or older) to request a grade change. Eligible individuals may apply to Butte Valley High School to change the letter grade on the student transcript to Pass or No Pass. A change from a letter grade to a Pass/No Pass cannot negatively impact a student's grade point average.


For grade change requests, please fill out the Request A Grade Change form found HERE.  You can print the form, scan it and then email it to Secretary Shelley Baldwin at  You can also print this and bring it into the main office.

The bill also requires the California State University (CSU) and requests the University of California (UC) and private colleges to accept Pass or No on a student’s transcript for those courses taken during the 2020–21 school year. However, some postsecondary educational institutions, including those in other states, may not accept a Pass or No Pass grade instead of a letter grade for admission purposes.


The list of postsecondary institutions who will accept, for admission purposes, a transcript with a Pass or No Pass grade instead of a letter grade can be found HERE

Per AB 104, grade change requests must be received 15 days once this message is posted on our website. For BVHS, we must receive your request by August 11, 2021. Once received, BVHS has 15 days to make the changes in the transcript and will notify parents/guardians.